Monday, June 20, 2011

Embarassment in the Cafeteria!

 Hello Fellow Bloggers!
Well, it's been a busy week so far.  My boss has been working me about 30 minutes late every day, making me almost miss dinner on more than one occasion.  I don't mind it though, because I am really enjoying the work that I get to do while I'm here.  They have me working on programming with the AIM Satellite for NASA, which is an atmospheric measurement device.  Basically, I've been learning a bunch of software programs that will allow me to create models in effort to improve the data that they collect.  But anyway, enough with the technical stuff.  My roommate moved in today.  He's from Purdue and is an atmospheric sciences major.  He's pretty cool.  I showed him around town and he gave me a ride over to the store.  So this is shaping up to be a good week.  We have two seminars this week, which means we will be getting two breaks in our work day.  On Sunday, we're also getting a trip out to Williamsburg.  I can't wait to go.

Funny story...  I went to dinner last night by myself and ended up sitting alone.  This happens a lot when you're one of the few white kids at a historically black university.  People tend to avoid you like the plague.  As I'm eating my dinner, this girl comes over and asks me if I'd like to sit with her and her friend.  I went over to sit with them, and she revealed she was an incoming freshman he for the pre-college program.  After talking for a bit, she asked me a few questions about myself, and when I told her that I was a summer intern, she said, "You must be really smart!  Are you planning to go to school here, too?"  Apparently when I said I was going to be a senior, she thought that I meant in high school.  She almost jumped out of her seat when I told her I was going to be graduating from COLLEGE next year.  I don't think I've ever seen anybody so embarrassed before.  In the end, we all laughed it off, and before I left, she invited me and anyone else coming to meals with me to sit with them for the rest of the summer.  It's nice to know you're not completely alone sometimes.  :)

More to come.  

Ciao!


-Lance-

No comments:

Post a Comment